Sunday, March 18, 2007

Would Tufte agree with getting rid of PowerPoint altogether even when it can be helpful for shows with images especially(relating it back to MICA) with scholarship reviews of portfolios?

Why does Tufte blame some of the wording on PowerPoint when people creating the PP are responsible for what they put on the slides?


Although Tufte makes some interesting points about PP and the ineffectiveness of it, I don't agree with some of his thinking. PP sould be used not by itself but with reports as well. I think PP can be helpful if the point of the presentation is a summary of points especially with images. I know that with my personal experience PP has been helpful when I need to present a presentation with images in such classes as art matters and phenomenon of color. I think Tufte goes a little far in his bashing of PP when he relates the structure of PP to other structures such as Stalin. Stalin?! I mean I don't think PP is that bad where it's dictating a country and killing people, that's a little ridiculous. And as for his point about children in school only doing PP and not knowing how to do a real report, well it's up to the teacher to be responsible for making the children do a report as well, that's not PP's fault. The purpose of PP is not to replace a real report and if people are substituting that for a real report that is their fault, not PP's. I don't think it's plausible to base the Columbia accident on PP, that is an engineers fault and the creators of that slideshow for giving conflicting views on the reason for the accident. I think Tufte could have made his points much more consicely than he did. He repeated himself often, saying the same points over and over. All in all Tufte had some good points but he was a little dramatic in his hate for PP that I don't think is reasonable.

No comments: